Camellia Cottage (the Cottage) has a colorful history! Constructed in 1871, she celebrated her 150th birthday in 2021. She is located on a lot owned by the Revolutionary War hero, General Hugh Mercer. He likely walked down the stone steps that still exist above the Cottage to his apothecary shop.
The Cottage likely had its humble beginning as a house in 1871 on a lumber yard. In 1877, a Dr. Martin purchased and moved the structure, then converted it into an office to practice medicine. Believe it or not, moving entire buildings was a common occurrence in the historic past. But the Cottage was moved not just once, but twice! In 1902, the Cottage was moved to its current location. She continues a rich tradition of helping people heal, grow, and thrive.
An extensive renovation was begun in 1979 and Norris and Dr. Delise Dickard continued to improve the Cottage when they purchased her in 2014. Camellia Cottage is marked by a camellia bush in front that blooms profusely in the cold months of winter. The camellia bush is beautiful, tough, and resilient - traits we all desire and coaching at the cottage helps individuals realize!